Originally written in Balochi by: Chandan Sach

Translated into English by: Uzair Mehr

 

 

 

1.    The Night

 

O night, I supplicate to you once again

Come out of me and go away

O night, I have suffered enough agony

I never thought and realized anything in folly

That people will be disloyal

O night, this life always comes up near a windowsill

Like a mum child watches the scenes and becomes gloomy

And mises a person

That I befriended her for a time

And was an associate of her like amiable people

I lived every moment and while

Likewise, I loved and wrote poetry

O night, when you happen to go to Karachi,

So, tell her that ~ Chandan immensely complained about you and spoke,

The period when the time didn’t move quietly,

Then I was lugubrious inside

Sometimes I communed with pitch-dark nights to change the nucleus of life

Sometimes I consorted with the stale panoramas and flied the stones

Sometimes I sat and mused like an old man

That how this thirst will be over

Sometimes I sucked my own blood to live life

O night, it’s the tale of foregone times

 

 

 

 

 

 

2.    Tell fella Sanai

 

Tell fella Sanai that I have tied this life like the leg of Sohail’s bed,

Like an impuissant goat’s kid and headed to the sky

Say to Sanai

 when you wish to talk with seasons, so don’t bring the sea in memory

and don’t dissever yourself

don’t mull over the thing that these contemplative matters

the philosophy of existence and nonexistent will finish

say to Sanai, we haven’t imbibed the milky tea of ~ Shaal heedlessly

for these limbs still bear witness of that time

Tell fella Sanai, I’m sitting adrift and scattered by a window now

me and the feeble eyes of my body are sick of watching the stale scenes of the world

 

 

3.    The Vagabond

 

The earth is an ember and I am a delirious and barefoot dream

In the intention of travelling, I travel beyond the night

But the earth is an ember of might

And this ember has suppressed me tight

I am scorched

Who will expire along with the departed seasons?

And watch a scene in the moments of hope and despair

When the lord recalls the seasons,

The face of earth will change

And I will travel like a dream for a new core

Where the seasons will wear away the windows of the houses at nightfall

But I savor traveling like the seasons

 

 

 

4.    The Character of an Igneous Epoch

 

We stayed in the breach of windows

And searched ourselves for a meaning

The dreams shatter in the compensation of sleeplessness forts

We laughed in a brief moment of conversation

You passed like a glare from the eyes

I was embarrassed like a tongueless statue

You have reached in the rampart and fortress of freedom

 I have enshrouded myself with the webs of the same epoch

The webs bind my inner hopes everyday

How will the character of an igneous epoch tell the story?

The life is a robust pain that imbues in the heart

Your memory is a plucky man that permeates in the heart

 

 

 

5.    The Reality

 

A series of eras carelessly elapsed before you

An era paased with you along with calamities

An era will also pass after you with the passers-by

It is what the journey of life is

And likewise, it will be

 

 

 

 

6.    The Divorce

 

Life, love and death

O my messenger, take these words and burn them in front of my beloved’s porch

and tell her that Chandan said these are your divorce

 

 

7.    The Journey of Life

 

O life, your journey pervades through the core of a vagrant sail

And makes itself a tale

Like a man changes the seasons

Like a weather changes the seasons

A moonlit night and a beach

A sailor would sit in an association of past

Recall and cry over the bygone times

O life, your journey is a vanished path

That centuries have passed and no one trod

Neither a footprint of camel man’s camels acquaints

Neither a jinni, fairy or a virulent insect unattentively passes on the blisters

o life, your journey is a cursory gift

or a door of an antique wall that should be always open

which should accommodate all the disgraces in itself

like the loose intoxication of thirst which spreads out in youth

like blossom or spring

O life, your journey is a horse that neighs far away

A convenience, a shield,

A dead melody

A mournful moment

A flag of shrine

Like a Fakir fled to ~ Chillah

Intimidated by death

O life, your journey is a tale, weather, season and me

A pathetic night

That completed the condolence of an aged desired sitting in the shade of golden radiance of a yellow lamp



8.    Dream Diary

 

Problem….

Where there the sea is prompt and set out for a journey in bypast epoch

Where the birds locomote more than people


Dream….

Where the dreams of children have been unrolled by the premature desires twenty-six years ago

And the wind didn’t sit down to intonate white melodies

There’s a bazar of blood-red colors nowadays

If people take water from there so a turbid radiance of fire emerges


Season…

Where ~ Hani doesn’t sit with cranes and chant melodious songs

I daily come there and exchange the pains

Any dream which remains in the green garb,

I make them amulets for the tomorrow’s meaningless world


Custom…

These lightnings which snake like yellow snakes in the sky

Who says it is not the glint of ~ Shirin’s sleeves?

I am an enthusiast of lightings

And this fancier immensely loves all the people of sacred names

 

 

 

 

9.    The Regression

 

The stale and old scenes are not watchable

I thought of taking out eyes from my self

And shut the windows of my self

I close the doors of hard moments of sleeplessness

I thought I would not see the sky moon and stars at night

I ruin the intention of the age and stifle all the afflictions of the old age

I thought of accommodating and reflecting within myself

Why am I shriveled?

Standing on the green road of despondency

Why the contemplations are widow?

The bosoms of dreams withered, where should I stretch my hand now?

The yearning spirit of sights is smitten

The bodies of trails are bloody

The figure of wind cannot be churned like waterskin

Now I thought to title another name to my epoch how will it be?

I have heard every epoch carries its character with itself

It was in my heart once as well

I will be a ~ Shay Mureed and come from far-flung areas

For you are the dazzling light of my love, beloved sweetheart and brunette Hani

Those eras have taken their turns and went by

It’s not like that now

It seems as if everything is departed from me now

The far-off wings of fancy sprouted individuality

For whom should I fly on?

I am disgusted of myself like previous day

This life drooped.

 

 

 

 

10. The Unacquainted

 

Ask the condition of the solitude smitten man who is putatively alive,

Combusted,

dissevered from its everything,

loitered beyond the obsessions of individuality

forgot the lush dreams and departed

don’t know where!

Nor someone attests an evidence

A neighing horse will run away seeing the foregone slumbers

It’s not pleasant to accord with anyone

The night would be decanted in a waterskin

And churned solely

An old woman chokes sobbing

The comrades of this story have been bereaved by the time

Who should rebuke the time?

The journey of seasons locomote

these stories have no future

remaining ones have no memory

for remorseful lunatics,

there is no unseasonable lamentation

is there anyone to testify?

To know the interpretations of fatigued dreams?

To convey a message of lunatic

That on which bed of a hospital he’s wilting

No one knows how he’s alive

And his eye lashes have fallen

 

 

 

Some hard words used in these poems which might need a bit definition are:


1   ~ Chandan – Chandan Saach – Poet Name

2.     ~ Shaal—The old name of Quetta

3.     ~ Chillah— pilgrimage/or worship of forty days

4.     ~ Hani— A female character and beloved of Shay Mureed in romantic story of Balochi history.

For more information about this story click:

 Hani

5.     ~ Shirin—Shirin, the Queen of Armenia beloved of Farhad.

For further reading click the following links:

 link 1 link 2 

6.      Shay Mureed— A male character and lover of Hani in romantic story of Balochi history. For more information about this story click:


 Shay Mureed


Reference:

 

 Azmaan Kaaristhe E Log Ent [The Sky Is the Abode of a Character]

(Balochi poetry book which was written by Chandan Sach and published by Ilm O Adab Publisher Urdu Bazar, Karachi on March 2019.)

 

 

0 Comments